DLB Investors recently released Red, White & Green: The True Colors of America’s Clean Tech Jobs, a report about the politics surrounding green jobs. Tennessee was listed as one of the top 10 states with the largest share of green jobs as a percentage of total jobs!
LightWave Solar President, Steve Johnson will be driving his Nissan Leaf for Nashville’s Electric Vehicle Rally on Sept. 23 to celebrate National Plug In Day. Make sure you stop by LightWave Solar’s booth on Sunday at Vanderbilt University’s SMART Charging Station on the corner of 21st Ave. S and Broadway from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Click on the picture above for all of the details or visit the National Plug In Day website.
A new report finds solar PV installations deliver savings to ratepayers and taxpayers by $0.15-$0.40/kWh. Here’s the breakdown of solar power’s public value into nine accrued benefits:
1. Saves money on wholesale energy
Locally generated solar electricity reduces the amount of energy that utilities must purchase at higher prices. Savings are $0.06-$0.11/kWh.
2. Reduces demand-response expenses
PV installations can deliver the equivalent of capacity, displacing the need to purchase this capacity elsewhere. Savings are $0.00-0.05/kWh.
3. Saves energy losses within the distribution system
Distributed solar installations can eliminate the electrical losses that are typically incurred when energy is moved from large power plants to local loads. Savings are $0.00-0.01/kWh.
4. Reduces need for feeder equipment upgrades
Distributed PV can deliver capacity at the feeder level, so it can reduce the wear and tear on transformers and other feeder equipment. Savings are $0.00-0.03/kWh.
5. Hedges against fuel-price spikes
Solar energy does not depend on commodities whose prices fluctuate on short-term scales and will likely escalate substantially over the long-term. Savings are $0.02-0.03/kWh.
6. Aids grid security
Solar power’s ability to closely mirror peak power demand can help reduce chances of blackouts. Savings are $0.03-0.06/kWh.
7. Reduces costly health and environment damages
Solar power deployment reduces greenhouse gas emissions, mining related consequences, water contamination, and other environmental and health related damages associated with fossil fuels. Savings are $0.03-0.06/kWh, which is “certainly a conservative range,” the report says.
8. Reduces fuel-price volatility
Using an estimate of a 150% rise in fuel-based generation costs by 2036 (deemed a conservative estimate) the report found that the insurance hedge of solar generation contributes a significant long-term value. Savings are $0.03-0.04/kWh.
9. Stimulates economy
“Job creation implies value to society in many ways, including increased tax revenues, reduced unemployment and an increase in general confidence conducive to business development,” the report states.
Article was taken from Solar Industry by Jessica Lillian, and the cited report is by Richard Perez at University of Albany, Ken Zweibel at the GW Solar Institute and Thomas E. Hoff of Clean Power Research.
Congratulations to LightWave Solar’s JP Plumlee for earning the NABCEP PV Technical Sales Certification! NABCEP is the gold standard for third-party solar certification, and JP’s certificate means he passed a rigorous exam and meets quality training and experience requirements. We already knew JP was a great asset to LightWave Solar, but now potential customers, colleagues and other solar professionals will know too.
Click here to learn more about the NABCEP PV Technical Sales Certification.
LightWave Solar is hosting a Job Fair on Tuesday, Sept. 18 from 3 to 6 p.m. for construction workers seeking Solar Installer positions. Please come out to meet us if you’re interested. Spread the word about green jobs!
WHO: LightWave Solar Electric, LLC
WHAT: Job Fair for Construction Workers
WHERE: Jackson Office Center, 3026 Owen Drive, Antioch, TN 37013 BEHIND THE BUILDING AT LOADING DOCK F
WHEN: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Mechanical/structural mounting of racking, modules and electrical equipment. Assembly of mounting hardware.
- AC and DC Electrical wiring of systems.
- Attic work in homes and businesses to verify structural attachment.
- Pre-assemble job components in the warehouse .
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 3-5 years construction and roofing experience.
- Experience with electrical wiring in residential or commercial applications.
- Experience in mechanical installations, general construction and ladder work.
- General understanding of common building materials and techniques (i.e. lumber, roofing materials, etc.).
- Good communication and customer service skills and experience.
- Experience with all types of hand-held and power tools.
- High School Diploma.
- Valid driver’s license.
- LightWave Solar is an Equal Opportunity Employer, offering health, dental, life, vision, disability, long term care insurance, 401k and paid time off. Compensation is based on experience.
- Bring your Resume with references
The official posting can be found here.
TVA is rolling out their new solar incentive program, Green Power Providers, as early as October 1, 2012. Program details have not been officially announced, but the following information has been verified with TVA and local distributors:
1. Green Power Providers will keep the $0.12 solar premium for projects with Participation Agreements executed by 12/31/2012.
2. Green Power Providers will continue to offer the $1,000 installation rebate.
3. The maximum system size allowed is 50 kW, although projects above 10 kW cannot generate over 100% of the consumption on the billing meter. Consumption is based on the previous 12 months of electric bills.
LightWave Solar will send an update once the details are officially announced and the application is available. Please stay tuned!